Japan Australia Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

White Day 2014

White Day is a special day held in Japan on March 14, exactly a month after Valentine’s Day. White Day is a time in Japan for the boys to return the favour of gifts received earlier from the girls on Valentine’s Day. Why is it called “White Day”? It is simple really, white is the colour of sugar, which is the main ingredient of candy traditionally given as a gift on White Day.

Popular traditional gifts on White Day include white chocolate, cookies, jewelry, white lingerie, and marshmallows. These days anything goes, so the gifts can be pretty much anything.



There is a word in Japanese "sanbai gaeshi" (三倍返し), which means triple the return. The rule is a returned gift should be 2 to 3 times the cost of the Valentine’s Day gift. Wow! The boys have it tough on White Day in Japan.

White Day was first celebrated in Japan in 1978. It is also celebrated in other Asian nations such as South Korea, Taiwan and China.

Just like with Valentine's Day in Japan, Krispy Kreme is also running a special White Day campaign. You can pick up a limited edition "White Day Box" with a Sakura Cream Doughnut and Cookie Vanilla Doughnut. A little piece of edible jewelry this White Day in Japan.

White Day Box

Krispy Kreme Japan Website

Will you buy a special gift this White Day? I hope you have a great White Day wherever you are in the world.

6 comments:

  1. So what did you buy for me today? :)

    Actually, in truth, this year has been flying by with barely a birthday or a Valentine's Day present. I think I may have to buy myself a KitKat today! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ru, Hope you had a great White Day and enjoyed the Kit Kat :)

      Delete
  2. I wish somebody would have bought me that box full of delicious donuts. :(
    I would have bought it for myself, but I think I told you before there is no Krispy Kreme anywhere nearby. :(

    I wonder if they have any shops in Kansai at all. Gonna check out their website to find out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zooming Japan! As you know Krispy Kreme is one of my favourites. You gotta try that Sakura Cream Doughnut. I hope you can find one near you :)

      Delete

Share This via Social Media

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...